|• Revised Romanization||Haenam-gun|
Location in South Korea
|Administrative divisions||1 eup, 13 myeon, 513 ri, 909 ban|
|• Total||1,013.8 km2 (391.4 sq mi)|
|• Density||99/km2 (260/sq mi)|
Haenam County has been inhabited since the Neolithic. Relics of the Bronze Age, such as dolmens and shell mounds, were discovered here. The term Haenam appeared during the Goryeo dynasty but a definite record does not exist. After 1895 (32nd year of King Gojong in the Joseon dynasty) it came to be called as Haenam-gun, and became the biggest county in Jeonnam.
- Yoon Seon Do : one of the most famous Korean painters and writers during mid-Joseon dynasty.
- Kim Nam Ju : Korean poet (1946.10.16. ~ 1994.2.13.)
- Goh Jung Hee : Goh, Jung-Hee (1948~1991) was born in Haenam. In 1975 she made her debut in Korean literary world on the recommendation of poet Park Nam-Su. She contributed “Resurrection, Hereafter”, “A Love Song” and others to a magazine “Modern Poetics”. Until she died from her debut, during her short period of writing for about 15 years, she wrote 12 copies of poetry actively, which included her collection of poems and posthumous manuscripts. Also she attracted attention in the world of poetry as showing various and strong experimental attitude through each poems.
- Hwang Ji Wu : Korean poet and artistic critic.
- Lee Jin Woo : Produce X 101 trainee.
Thanks to its large scale farming, Haenam has been the main place of producing lots of farming products from sweet potatoes to cabbages. The cabbage is specially produced in wintertime and Haenam occupies 70% of production.
A special type of orange, the hallabong, is also grown in Haenam county. Before, Jeju was the only place to grow hallabong but lots of counties of Jeonnam started to cultivate this breed, which is largely owing to the greenhouse effect.
Birth promotion policy
Haenam is attracting attention with its birth rate more than double the average in South Korea. In '2014 Birth Statistics', its total fertility rate was 2.4 per person, making it the nation's first birth rate. This is the result of various childbirth policies implemented by the birth policy team. Some of these policies are introduced.
- It is the settlement of worry about housing arrangement. The sale price of apartments in Jeollanamdo, which Haenam County belongs to, does not reach half the national average. To get a 99 square meters apartment, you need 152 million won(Korean currency unit. This is not only a quarter of the Seoul apartment sale price, but also less than the private rent price.
- It is an extraordinary birth grant. In Haenam County, if you give birth to the first child, 3 million won will be paid. If you give birth to a second child, you will receive 3.5 million won. If you give birth to a third child, you will receive 6 million won. If you have a fourth child, you will receive 7,200,000 won.
- It is a witty birth related program. Haenam notifies the birth of the baby through the local newspaper and plans harmony of local residents. In addition, there are many interesting programs such as 'Dad Camp for the Land', which encourages dad to take part in housekeeping and housework, a 'stroller marching concert' that all residents can enjoy, and 'escape trip to the end of the earth' for unmarried men and women.
- Finally, job creation is through agricultural and marine products and food-specific complexes. Haenam is actively working on building a wealthy farming and fishing village, focusing on the issue of jobs and cultivating processed sweet potatoes and eco-friendly items. The 'Haenam Food Specialization Complex', a food manufacturing and agro-industrial complex based on eco-friendly farming, aquatic and livestock products, is currently sold under the guidance of the military.
- Global Academy in Haenam town.
Haenam faces Gangjin to the east, Yeongam to the north, Jindo and Wando to the west and south across the sea.
Additionally, Haenam is located below Taebaek Mountains and goes through an oceanic climate. It is quite a warm area even among southern region of South Korea. There is rias coast around Hwawon peninsula.
|Climate data for Haenam (1981–2010)|
|Average high °C (°F)||6.1
|Daily mean °C (°F)||1.3
|Average low °C (°F)||−3.2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||32.5
|Average precipitation days (≥ 0.1 mm)||9.3||8.4||9.3||8.2||9.3||10.5||12.9||12.0||8.5||5.8||7.8||8.1||110.1|
|Average relative humidity (%)||70.4||69.4||69.0||68.5||72.2||76.5||82.3||80.5||77.4||72.1||71.4||71.7||73.4|
|Mean monthly sunshine hours||161.4||170.3||203.8||226.4||237.8||198.3||183.6||221.8||197.4||221.1||175.2||160.2||2,356.1|
|Source: Korea Meteorological Administration|
Twin towns – sister cities
Haenam is twinned with:
- Ansan, South Korea
- Jungnang-gu, South Korea
- Seocho-gu, South Korea
- Yeongdeok, South Korea
- Haeundae-gu, South Korea
- English page of Haenam county
- [해남군청] 해남군, 친환경 겨울배추단지화 재배 성공 YeonHap newes , 2008.01.22
- Hallabong of Jeonnam combating those of Jeju 전남 한라봉， 제주 아성에 도전 kukinews 2008.01.24
- 전국 '5+2 광역경제권 전략' 뭘 담았나 한국경제(kor) 2008.01.24
- 인수위 "전국을 '5대 광역경제권'으로 재편" (kor) 2008.01.24
- 이(Lee), 정윤(Jung Yoon) (2015-10-23). "전국 출산율 1위, 해남군일 수밖에 없는 이유(The reason why it has to be Haenam, Korea's top fertility rate)". 베이베뉴스(Baby News).
- "평년값자료(1981–2010) 해남(261)". Korea Meteorological Administration. Retrieved 2011-05-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Haenam.|