1972 in India
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|See also:||List of years in India|
Timeline of Indian history
Events in the year 1972 in the Republic of India.
- President of India – V. V. Giri
- Prime Minister of India – Indira Gandhi
- Chief Justice of India – Sarv Mittra Sikri
- Assam –
- Bihar –
- Gujarat –
- Haryana –
- Himachal Pradesh –
- Jammu and Kashmir –
- Karnataka –
- Kerala –
- Madhya Pradesh –
- Maharashtra –
- Manipur –
- Meghalaya –
- Nagaland –
- Odisha –
- Punjab –
- Rajasthan –
- Tamil Nadu –
- Telangana –
- Tripura –
- Uttar Pradesh –
- West Bengal –
- 21 January – Manipur gets statehood.
- 19 March – India and Bangladesh sign a friendship treaty, after the withdrawal of the Indian troops.
- 2 July – Following Pakistan's surrender to India in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971, both nations sign the historic bilateral Simla Agreement, agreeing to settle their disputes peacefully.
- 10 July – A stampede of elephants kills 24 people in the Chandka Forest.
- Armed Forces (Assam and Manipur) Special Powers (Amendment) Act, 1972
- 15 August 1972 Pincode (postal index Number- PIN) Introduced in India
- 9 September 1972 wild life protection Act.
- 17 October 1972 M.G.Ramachandran, forms the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam ( AIADMK ), paving new path in Tamilnadu politics.
- 24 February – Pooja Bhatt, actress, producer and director.
- 15 April – Mandira Bedi, actress, model and television presenter.
- 20 April – Mamta Kulkarni, actress.
- 8 July – Sourav Ganguly, cricketer.
- 31 March – Meena Kumari, actress (b. 1932).
- 14 April - George Reddy, Student and PDSU leader at OU campus Hyderabad (b. 1947)
- 29 May - Prithviraj Kapoor, actor and director (b. 1906)
- 20 July – Geeta Dutt, playback singer (b. 1930).